Saving energy isn’t just a winter activity. The extreme heat of the summer puts a lot of energy demands on our homes and businesses. Check out the August Newsletter from Focus on Energy for some great tips on how to save energy during the summer months.
Summer is Bringing the Heat!
One of the best ways to enjoy summer is by reducing energy use in your home. Follow these tips to keep your house cool while saving on energy costs:
- Turn up your thermostat when you leave home.
- See how Focus on Energy’s Smart Thermostat Program can help you lower heating and cooling costs—and earn you $75!
- Use ceiling fans and lower/turn off your AC.
- Close the blinds on your windows to keep the sun from shining in and heating up your house.
- Try LED light bulbs to reduce energy usage by up to 90%.
- Need LEDs? Click here to learn how you can get FREE energy-saving lightbulbs from Focus on Energy!
- Cut back hot water use and try to use cold or warm water when doing laundry and dishes. And hang your clothes out in the sun to dry!
- Monitor your electronics. Unplug and turn off any heat-producing devices, like lamps and hot irons, when you aren’t using them to keep them from warming up your house. Use an advanced powerstrip to reduce power used by electronics when they’re in standby mode.
- Have an outdoor barbecue on the grill. The less you use large, heat-producing appliances that warm up your house, the better. Try grilling your meal on the porch outside rather than using the oven and invite a few friends over for a fun cookout!